With the caliber of its graduates, Kenyatta University stands out as one of the top universities in Kenya. Our goal is to not only retain this standing but also advance and realize our objective of developing into a top-tier university that is dedicated to excellence and relevance.
About Kenyatta University
Kenya’s Nairobi County is home to Kenyatta University (KU), a public research university. After Moi University (1970) and the University of Nairobi (1970), it was given the status of a university in 1985. (1984). It was one of 23 public colleges in the nation as of October 2014.
The main campus of Kenyatta University can be found at Kahawa, in the Kasarani Sub-county, north of Nairobi City County, around 17.5 kilometers (10.9 miles) northeast of Nairobi’s central business district on the Nairobi-Thika Road, on a property of more than 1,000 acres (1.6 sq mi).
The Templar Barracks in Kahawa were turned over by the British government to Kenya’s newly established government in 1965. Thereafter, the barracks were transformed into Kenyatta College. After a parliamentary act, Kenyatta College changed its name to Kenyatta University College in 1970 and became a constituent college of the University of Nairobi.
It received full university status in 1985 and changed its name to Kenyatta University. President Barack Obama of the United States visited Kenya in 2015, and while there, he went to the university’s main campus. President Obama’s late father, economist Barack Obama, Sr., and paternal relations are from Kenya.
The university has 12 campuses as of March 2016 and grants bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees. Law and medical degrees are among those given out. The university offers open learning, e-learning, or “digital school,” school-based instruction, as well as part-time and full-time classes. Kenyatta University has received accreditation from the Inter-University Council for East Africa, the Africa Association of Universities, the International Association of Universities, and the Commonwealth Universities.
The library at Kenyatta University is one of the biggest on the continent and provides intellectual information resources and services to its scholars and students. The library has branches on each of the corresponding satellite campuses and provides E-services in addition to lending services.
Faculty and Departments At Kenyatta University
School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Agricultural Economics
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
- Department of Environmental Planning and Management
- Department of Environmental Science and Education
- Department of Environmental Studies and Community Development
School of Business, Economics, and Tourism
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Management Science
- Department of Accounting and Finance
- Department of Applied Economics
- Department of Econometrics & Statistics
- Department of Economic Theory
- Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Department of Recreation and Sports Management
School of Education
- Department of Educational Psychology
- Department of Educational Management Policy & Curriculum Studies
- Department of Educational Communication & Technology
- Department of Educational Foundations
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Department of Early Childhood & Special Needs
School of Engineering and Architecture
- Department of Architecture and interior design
- Department of Spatial and Environmental Planning
- Department of Construction and Real Estate Management
- Department of Computing & Information Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Energy Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
School of Health Sciences
- Department of Human Anatomy
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Medical Microbiology & Parasitology
- Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health
- Department of Medical Physiology
- Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Department of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Department of Medicine, Therapeutics, Dermatology, and Psychiatry
- Department of General Surgery
- Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing and Pre-clinical Services
- Department of Community and Reproductive Health Nursing
- Department of Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, And Pharmaceutics & Industrial Pharmacy
- Department Of Pharmacology And Clinical Pharmacy
- Department of Community Health and Epidemiology
- Department of Environmental & Occupational Health
- Department of Health Management and Informatics
- Department of Population, Reproductive Health & Community Resource Management
- Department of Food, Nutrition, And Dietetics
- Department of Physical Education, Exercise & Sports Science
- Department of Special Surgery
School of Law, Arts and Social Sciences
- Department of Literature, Linguistics, and Foreign Languages
- Department of Geography
- Department of Sociology Gender & Development Studies
- Department of History, Archeology & Political Studies
- Department of Kiswahili and African Language
- Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Public Policy and Administration (PPA)
- Department of Public Law
- Department of Private Law
- Department of Security, Diplomacy And Peace Studies
- Department of Communication, Media, Film & Theatre Studies
- Department of Fine Art and Design
- Department of Music and Dance
- Department of Fashion Design & Marketing
School of Pure And Applied Sciences
- Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Biotechnology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics & Actuarial Science
- Department of Plant Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Zoological Sciences
Frequently Asked Questions about Kenyatta University
How many Students Does Kenyatta University admit per year?
Answer: This is at the discretion of the University however the admission rate range is 90-100% making it a least selective institution.
Is Kenyatta University a Federal or State School?
Answer: It is a public research university.
What is the cut-off mark for Kenyatta University?
Answer: Mean grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or equivalent. In addition, applicants must meet specific degree requirements.
What is Kenyatta University Official Website?
Is Kenyatta University a good school?
Answer: Yes. It is one of Kenya’s best state institutions given that it provides top-notch training and education programs.
Are there hostels at Kenyatta University?
When is the Admission Form coming out for Kenyatta University?
Answer: Check the school’s website to find out.
Who founded Kenyatta University?
Answer: The University was founded by the then-former Vice-Chancellor Professor Olive Mugenda, who saw it as a personal goal realized since she believed that top-notch universities are not just made up of classrooms but also distinctive structures like this that may help define a university’s culture.
What are the requirements for Kenyatta University?
Answer: Entry Requirement
- A KCSE (Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination) grade of C+ or above is required.
- Also, candidates must satisfy unique degree criteria for each school. The established entry requirements should only be taken as the minimum, and they in no way guarantee admission to the university.
- There are rare occasions when a few students can be admitted to pursue portions of courses within a discipline, or in more than one discipline, and combination, but this does not constitute a program for the University to confer a degree.
- Potential participants in such a program are referred to as occasional students.
- Candidates must either meet the standard minimum entrance requirements or provide alternative equivalent qualifications that are acceptable to the Board of the School in question to be eligible for admission under this category.
- Provide proof that you are enrolled at a different university.
- The duration of an occasional studentship is often no longer than one academic year.
- It should be mentioned that applicants accepted under this category are judged based on their performance on coursework or in university exams.