Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University offers a full range of credentials in a wide variety of health sciences subjects, according to its mission statement. The institution’s commitment to research, innovation, and community participation is emphasized in the mission statement along with the institution’s commitment to excellence in teaching and learning.
The university aims to “provide professional training and education in a range of professions through excellence in teaching, learning, innovative research, and community participation.” SMU is a devoted health sciences university.
About Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Gauteng Province, South Africa’s Ga-Rankuwa, is home to Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (also known as MEDUNSA or SMU; Afrikaans: Die Mediese Universiteit van Suid-Afrika). On January 1st, 2015, it was founded in its present form. The Medical University of South Africa was its previous name before becoming a campus of the University of Limpopo (MEDUNSA). It is called Sefako Makgatho after the South African ANC leader. Similar to how they did before the name change when they referred to the institution by the acronym “MEDUNSA,” students have been referring to it informally using the acronym of its new name (“SMU”).
With a few exceptions at segregated non-white-only medical institutions, black students were prohibited by the Apartheid regime from attending the majority of South Africa’s medical schools until the Medical University of South Africa (MEDUNSA) was founded in 1976.
Ga-Rankuwa is home to the university’s administrative center. One of the factors leading to the disturbances in August 2014 was the institution’s name change from MEDUNSA to Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU). The university was a campus of the University of Limpopo from 2005 to 2015, however, it was split after a review of the merger. President Jacob Zuma and Minister of Higher Education Blade Nzimande attended the launch on April 14, 2015, and the president gave the keynote address.
Faculty and Departments At Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
School of Medicine
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) (incl. ECP)
- Master of Medicine – MMed (in various specializations)
- Master of Science in Clinical Psychology (MSc Clinical Psychology)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD in General Surgery)
- Ph.D. (in various specializations)
- Bachelor of Diagnostic Radiography (BRad Diag)
School of Oral Health
- Bachelor of Dental Sciences (BDS)
- Master of Dentistry (MDent) (various specializations)
- Ph.D. in Dentistry
- Bachelor of Dental Therapy (BDT)
- Bachelor of Oral Hygiene (BOH)
School of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm)
- Master of Pharmacy (MPharm)
- Ph.D. in Pharmacy (PharmD)
- Postgraduate Diploma (Hospital Pharmacy Management)
School of Health Care Sciences
Department of Nursing Sciences
- Baccalaureus Curationis (BCur) (I et A)
- Bachelor of Nursing Science Honours (in various specializations)
- Master of Nursing Science (in various specializations)
- Ph.D. in Nursing Sciences
- Diploma in Occupational Health Nursing
- Advanced Diploma in Occupational Health Nursing
Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics
- Masters of Science in Dietetics
- Ph.D. in Dietetics
Department of Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Masters of Occupational Therapy
- Ph.D. in Occupational Therapy
Department of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
- Master of Science in Physiotherapy (in various specializations)
- Ph.D. in Physiotherapy
Department of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
School of Science and Technology
- Computer Science
- Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
FAQS about Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Q. How many Students Does Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University admit per year?
A. The University is among the institutions that don’t provide data on acceptance rates.
Q. Is Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University a Federal or State School?
A. It is a public higher education institution.
Q. What is the cut-off point for Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University?
A. To be taken into consideration, a student’s average grade must be 65% or higher.
Q. What is Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University Official Website?
Q. Is Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University a good school?
A. Yes! The university ranked 23rd in South Africa, 5677th in the global 2023 rating, and scored in 16 research topics. It is one of the best medical institutions in the country and continent.
Q. Are there hostels at SMU?
Q. When is the admission form coming out for Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University?
A. The University Online Application Portal for 2023 is open from 1 April to 30 November 2023. SMU advises prospective students to submit their applications as early as possible for the 2023 academic year via the online application form (Hard-Copy).
Q. Who founded Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University?
A. The institution was established to offer medical education to black students who, with a few exceptions at segregated non-white-only medical schools, were prohibited from attending the majority of South Africa’s medical schools under the Apartheid administration.
Q. What are the requirements for Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University?
A. In general, you will require:
- Your National Senior/Matric/IEB Certificate; Certified Grade 11 end-of-year examination results; or (if you have already completed Grade 12).
- certified copies of your academic record and degree certificate(s) (if you attended or are currently a student at SMU or another university)