The University of Kisangani is situated in the commune of Makiso, in the Province of Tshopo, in the city of Kisangani, in the Eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
About the University of Kisangani
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s city of Kisangani is home to the University of Kisangani (UNIKIS). The Free University of the Congo (French: Université libre du Congo, ULC) was established by Protestant missionaries in 1963. In 1971, it became a division of the National University of Zaire, and in 1981, it was split off from the National University along with the Universities of Kinshasa and Lubumbashi, assuming its current name of the University of Kisangani. Professor Dr. Toengaho Lokundo serves as its president.
The Congo Protestant Council, a confederation of Protestant churches active in the Congo, founded the University of Kisangani in 1963. With 50 students and six full-time teachers, the university’s original name was the Free University of the Congo.
The founders, a small group of American Protestant missionaries, were first criticized for allegedly attempting to counterbalance Belgian and Catholic Church dominance in the young nation. The institution did receive some finance from various Protestant organizations, but it also received support from the West German and Dutch governments as well as the new Congolese government. According to reports, UNIKIS students rioted and attacked faculty members and local authorities in February 2019.
Faculty and Departments At the University of Kisangani
Faculty of Sciences
- Ecology and Management of Animal Resources (Zoology)
- Ecology and Management of Plant Resources (Botany)
- Mathematics and Computer Science
Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Biomedical Sciences
- Medical or Clinical Sciences (Internal Medicine; Gyneco-Obstetrics; Pediatrics; Neuropsychiatry)
- Pharmaceutical Sciences (Industrial pharmacy and drug analysis; Hospital and community pharmacy)
- Public Health Sciences (Management of Health Institutions; Hospital)
- Human Nutrition
Faculty of Letters and Human Sciences
- French Literature and Civilization
- English Literature and Civilization
- African letters and civilization
- Languages and Business
- Historical Sciences
- Documentary sciences and techniques
- Information and Communication Sciences
Faculty of Economics and Management
- Development economics
- International Economy
- Mathematical economics
- Monetary economy
- Public economy
- Rural economy
- Financial management
Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences
- Clinical Psychology
- School Psychology
- Work psychology
- Business Psychology
- Social and Organizational Psychology
- Primary and Secondary Education
- Education Administration and Planning
- Adult Education and Continuing Education
- Measurement and Evaluation in Education
- Peace Education
- Educational Technology
School of Hospitality and Tourism
- Department of Hospitality and Catering and
- Department of Tourism and Hospitality
Frequently Asked Questions about the University of Kisangani
How many Students Does the University of Kisangani admit per year?
Answer: The University is among the institutions that don’t provide data on acceptance rates.
Is the University of Kisangani a Federal or State School?
Answer: It is a Public university.
What is the cut-off point for the University of Kisangani?
Answer: Visit the school’s website to find out.
What is the University of Kisangani’s Official Website?
Is the University of Kisangani a good school?
Answer: Yes! The university ranked 3rd in DR Congo and 4179th in the World 2023 overall rankings.
Are there hostels at the University of Kisangani?
When is the Admission Form coming out for the University of Kisangani?
Answer: Check the school’s website to find out.
Who founded the University of Kisangani?
Answer: The University was established by the Congo Protestant Council, a coalition of Protestant churches operating in the Congo.
What are the requirements for the University of Kisangani?
Answer: Find out about the entry requirement from the school website.