Through academic research and social welfare, Kisii University wants to be a leading institution. At the university, facilitative frameworks are being developed to encourage research welfare and foster a thriving research culture among staff and students. The frameworks are equally focused on enhancing the university’s innovation and extension function and realizing its commitment to social welfare by fostering links between research output and community development. To this goal, the university constantly creates connections with other local and foreign universities for various programs.
About Kisii University
A public university in Kisii is called Kisii University. It was established in 1965 as a college for training elementary teachers on 61 acres of land that the County Council of Gusii gave. The institution remained open until 1983 when it underwent an upgrade to become a secondary teachers’ college and start offering diploma programs.
In 1994, the university was required by the Kenyan government to take over the institution as its campus. One of the first campuses established in Kenya was the Kisii Campus by H.E. Daniel arap Moi, who was the country’s head of state at the time. A postgraduate diploma in education, which was phased out in 2001, ran alongside the Bachelor of Business and Management, which the Faculty of Commerce launched in 1999 as its first-degree program on campus.
Kisii University institution was founded as a constituent institution of Egerton University on August 23, 2007, as a result of Government Legal Notice No. 163 of 2007. A charter was granted on February 6th, 2013, designating it as Kenya’s thirteenth public university.
Off the Kisii – Kilgoris Road, the main campus of the institution is located 2 kilometers from Kisii Town Center.
The students are dispersed among the Main Campus, the Kisii Town Campuses, the Keroka Campus, the Nyamira Campus, the Kisumu Campus, the Ogembo Campus, and the Migori Campus.
Faculty and Departments At Kisii University
School of Law
School of Information Science & Technology
- Computing Science
- Library & Information Science
- Communication & Media
School of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB)
- Biomedical Science and Technology
- Clinical Medicine and Surgery
- Community Health and Development
- Food Nutrition & Dietetic
- Health Records & Information Technology
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Public Health
School of Business and Economics
- Department of Human Resource and Strategic Management
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Accounting and Finance
- Department of Management Science
- Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management
School of Education & Human Resource Development
- Educational Foundations & Educational Administration Planning and Economics of Education
- Curriculum Instruction and Media (CIM)
- ECDE, SNE & EPSC
School of Agriculture and Natural Resource Management
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Economics
- Bachelor of Agribusiness Management
- Diploma in Agriculture Education and Extension
School of Pure and Applied Science
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics and Actuarial Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Biological Sciences
School of Arts & Social Science
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Political Science & Peace Studies
- Department of History
- Department of Languages, Linguistics, and Literature
- Department of Geography
- Department of Sociology, Gender & Development Studies
- Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies
Frequently Asked Questions about Kisii University
How many Students Does Kisii University admit per year?
Answer: The University (KSU) is a large (uniRank enrollment range: 10,000-14,999 students) coeducational Kenyan higher education institution.
Is Kisii University a Federal or State School?
Answer: It is a public university.
What is the cut-off mark for Kisii University?
Answer: Visit the University’s website to find out.
What is Kisii University Official Website?
Is Kisii University a good school?
Answer: Yes. The University ranked 40th in Kenya and 10888th in the World 2023 overall rankings. The University’s School of Law has been ranked the best in Kenya for the fourth successive year.
Are there hostels at Kisii University?
When is the Admission Form coming out for Kisii University?
Answer: The Admission Management of the University has released the online Application Form for the 2023/2024 Academic year.
Who founded Kisii University?
Answer: The University was founded by the Government of Kenya.
What are the requirements for Kisii University?
Answer: General Requirement
Candidates must have at least a C+ in the area of specialization and a mean grade of C+ or above (or an equivalent grade). Alternatively, candidates may have two principal passes at the A level in related subjects. Before enrolling in a course in a specific department, individuals must also fulfill departmental criteria.