The mission of Njala University is to be a premier institution of higher learning, research, and service to the community, dedicated to making major and sustained contributions to the achievement of the overall socioeconomic goals and ambitions of Sierra Leone and the global community.
About Njala University
In Njala and Bo, Sierra Leone, there is a public institution called Njala University (NU). It is a part of the University of Sierra Leone and is the country’s second-largest university (after Fourah Bay College). Njala University has two campuses: the main one is in Njala, Moyamba District, while the other is in Bo, the country’s second-largest city.
With assistance from USAID, NU was initially established in 1964 as a part of the University of Sierra Leone (USL), which provided degrees in collaboration with the University of Illinois. The University of Sierra Leone Act, passed in 1972, combined Fourah Bay and Njala under its purview, with each institution’s president rotating the USL presidency every two years. This persisted until 2005 when the university statute divided Fourah Bay and NU into separate, independently operated universities.
In the 1999–2000 academic year, NU had 722 male and 98 female students, which was equivalent to around 27% of college students in Sierra Leone. It employed 98 women and 436 men.
The university secretariat is located on the Njala campus, together with the other three schools of agriculture, environmental sciences, and technology. But as of the 2005–2006 academic year, all of Njala’s facilities were temporarily housed at New England Ville in Freetown, pending the campus’s reconstruction.
Faculty and Departments At Njala University
School of Agriculture and Food Sciences
- Agricultural Extension & Rural Sociology
- Institute of Food Technology, Nutrition, and Consumer Studies
- Department of Agric-Business Management
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Crop Science
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
School of Education
- Department of Human Kinetics and Health Education
- The Centre for Pedagogical Excellence
- Institute of Languages and Cultural Studies
- Department of Teacher Education
- Department of Agricultural and Home Economics
School of Social Sciences & Law
- Department of Sociology & Social Work
- Department of Law
- Institute of Social Studies, Administration & Management
- Institute of Moral & Religious Studies
- Department of Economics
- Department of Agricultural Economics
School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences
- Department of Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology
- Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology
- Department of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Department of Veterinary Surgery and Theriogenology
- Department of Veterinary Pathology
- Department of Medicine
School of Environmental Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Institute of Environmental Management and Quality Control
- Institute of Geography and Development Studies
School of Technology
- Department of Maths and Statistics
- Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
- Department of Industrial Technology
- Department of Physics & Computer Science
School of Community Health Sciences
- Department of Nursing
- Department of Community Health and Clinical Sciences
- Department of Public Health
School of Natural Resources Management
- Department of Wildlife Management and Conservation
- Department of Wood Science
- Department of Horticulture
- Department of Forestry
- Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Natural Resources Dean’s Office
- Department of Horticulture Njala Campus
Frequently Asked Questions about Njala University
How many Students Does Njala University admit per year?
Answer: This is at the discretion of the university but it has on Saturday 22nd May 2021 concluded the 2020/2021 matriculation for 807 Distance Learners in all seven centers operating under the University’s Distance Education program.
Is Njala University a Federal or State School?
Answer: It is a public university.
What is the cut-off mark for Njala University?
Answer: Check the university’s website to find out.
What is Njala University Official Website?
Is Njala University a good school?
Answer: Yes. The university ranked 2nd in Sierra Leone and 6146th in the World 2023 overall rankings.
Are there hostels at Njala University?
When is the Admission Form coming out for Njala University?
Answer: Refer to the university’s website to find out.
Who founded Njala University?
Answer: The university was originally formed as part of the University of Sierra Leone (USL) with the help of USAID.
What are the requirements for Njala University?
Answer: Entry Requirement
The University’s requirements for the Degree Programme are five (5) Credits in WASSCE or its equivalent including the English Language in not more than two sittings. Applicants should note that there are additional school and departmental requirements.