Graduates from the University of Venda are both globally and locally relevant.
About the University of Venda
A comprehensive rural institution of higher education in South Africa, the University of Venda (Univen; Venda: Yunivesithi ya Venda; Afrikaans: Universiteit van Venda) offers courses in both English and Venda. It is located in Thohoyandou, a town in the Limpopo province. The Republic of Venda, which was in power at the time, founded it in 1982.
As a result, the student body of Univen has never been solely Venda. The institution was established in 1982 to serve the people of the Venda Bantustan, but students from across the Northern Transvaal attended. After Apartheid was abolished and the bantustans were reintegrated, students at Univen came from all around South Africa.
The South African government’s initiative to restructure tertiary education in the new millennium led to Univen’s transformation into a “comprehensive university,” offering both theoretically and practically oriented degrees.
Faculty and Departments At the University of Venda
Faculty of Management, Commerce, and Law
SCHOOL OF LAW
- Department of Mercantile and Private Law
- Department of Public Law
- Department of Criminal Justice
MANAGEMENT AND COMMERCE DEPARTMENTS
- Department of Accountancy
- Department of Economics
- Department of Business Management
- Department of Human Resource Management and Labour Relations
- Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Department of Business Information Systems
- Department of Public and Development Administration
- Department of Extended BCom Programme
Faculty of Health Sciences
HEALTHCARE SCIENCE DEPARTMENTS
- Department of Advanced Nursing Science
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Clinical Associate
- Department of Physiotherapy
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Department of Optometry
PUBLIC HEALTH SCIENCE DEPARTMENTS
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- Department of Biokinetics, Recreation, and Sport Science
FACULTY OF SCIENCE, ENGINEERING, AND AGRICULTURE
- Department of Food Science and Technology
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Plant and Soil Sciences
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness
- Department of Forestry
- UNIVEN Experimental Farm
NATURAL AND MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES DEPARTMENTS
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Department of Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Science Foundation
ENGINEERING AND THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT DEPARTMENTS
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Department of Agricultural and Rural Engineering
Faculty of Humanities, Social Science and Education
- African Languages
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Early Childhood Education
- English, Media Studies, and Linguistics
- Educational Studies
- Human Sciences
- Social Work
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems and Heritage Studies
- Professional and Curriculum Studies
- Youth in Development
FAQS about the University of Venda
Q. How many Students Does the University of Venda admit per year?
A. The University’s total enrollment as of 2012 is 11,000.
Q. Is UNIVEN a Federal or State School?
A. It is a Public University.
Q. What is the cut-off point for the University of Venda?
A. Candidates must have at least a 26-point total. If grade 12 has been attained, a certificate with a bachelor’s or matriculation endorsement is necessary.
Q. What is the University of Venda’s Official Website?
Q. Is the University of Venda a good school?
A. Yes. The University has been ranked among the top institutions in the world. It is also ranked 19th in South Africa, and 3734th in the global 2023 rating.
Q. Are there hostels at UNIVEN?
A. Yes. Univen offers residence space for students. Its residences are spread across the University of Venda premises and the Thohoyandou area. Note that: the application for admission to a University residence must be made online before the closing date.
Q. When is the admission form coming out for the University of Venda?
A. Visit the University’s website to find out.
Q. Who founded the University of Venda?
A. The University was established under the then Republic of Venda government. Its Chancellor is Adv. Mojankunyane Gumbi.
Q. What are the requirements for the University of Venda?
A. Entry Requirement:
A National Senior Certificate (NSC), as validated by Umalusi, with an achievement level of 3 (moderate achievement, 40–49%) or better in four recognized NSC 20-credit topics is the prerequisite for admission.